The most common prompt for a new home insurance policy is the purchase of a home, as mortgage lenders require coverage to be in place before approving funding to close the sale. Be sure to review your lender’s instructions before exploring your insurance options to ensure your coverage meets their requirements.

Primary Home

Home coverage plans include coverage for buildings (house, garage, sheds), contents, and Loss of Use. Additional coverages are available in all plans.




This type of coverage lists events that are covered if damage occurs to your house, garage, shed or any of their contents

Common events that may be covered in a Basic policy include:

  • Water

  • Fire and smoke

  • Hail, wind and lightning

  • Glass breakage

  • Explosion

  • Vandalism

  • Impact by a vehicle

  • Theft or attempted theft

Also referred to as "Standard" or "Named Peril" coverage.

This type of coverage treats buildings differently than your contents when damage occurs.

For home, shed and garage, it lists events that are not covered. For your contents, it lists events that are covered.

How it works - an example:

You, a confident painter, are painting your living room walls without drop cloths for protection. However, you trip coming down the ladder and spill paint all over your flooring.

Note: Wall-to-wall carpeting is considered part of the building, where area rugs qualify as contents.

This type of coverage lists events that are not covered if damage occurs to your house, garage, shed or any of their contents

For example, damage may not be covered by a Special policy if by:

  • Nuclear events

  • Business or farming operation

  • Vacancy over 30 days

  • Wear, tear or deterioration

  • Terrorism

  • War

Also referred to as "Comprehensive" or "All Risk".

Rental Property

As a rental property owner, you want to ensure that both your property and your investment are protected, no matter what happens. Rental property insurance offers more than a standard home insurance policy – rental insurance is designed specifically for landlords and income property owners, and offers them the protection they need to keep their investment secure.

As a landlord, you assume greater risks than typical homeowners, and therefore you need an insurance policy that offers extra coverage. Your landlord home insurance policy can include coverage for:

  • Damage to your rental property or personal possessions as a result of vandalism or natural disaster

  • Damages caused by your tenants

  • Theft of your personal possessions from the rental property

  • Loss of rental income due to unexpected repairs arising from a covered event

  • Legal liability coverage in case a tenant is injured on your rental property

Note that rental property insurance does not cover your tenants’ personal belongings or offer personal liability protection for tenants. For this reason, it’s recommended that landlords consider requiring their tenants to purchase their own tenant insurance policy before signing a lease agreement.

Course of Construction

COC provides both owners/developers and general contractors peace of mind.

Owners are assured their contractors will have the funds to rebuild in the event of a loss, and contractors are assured they will have the costs available to start over in such an event.

Since course of construction insurance covers a number of parties, it can be obtained by the owner, contractor, engineer, or project manager. The party responsible for obtaining COC may be specified in the construction contract itself. The owner and/ or general contractor typically obtains the policy, and are covered as “named insureds” who are protected from paying for losses out of their own pockets.

Subcontractors are included on a COC policy as “unnamed insureds,” receiving the same coverage benefits regardless of whether the policy was taken out by an owner or contractor.

Both named and unnamed insureds on a COC policy are protected from legal suits if they happen to be the party responsible for the loss, as an insurer cannot bring action against someone covered by the same insurance policy.

Condo Owners

If you own a unit such as an apartment or townhouse in a condominium complex, our Condominium insurance policy covers most situations that you may face as a condo owner. You'll need coverage for both personal property and liability.


Most condominium corporations allow owners to make improvements and minor alterations to their individual units. This may include installing new cupboards, carpet, ceramic tile or bathroom fixtures.

If a claim occurs involving these improvements and they are not covered under the corporation's policy, you may have to cover the difference. Our condo insurance package covers that difference for an amount up to 250% of the personal property limit or $50,000, whichever is greater.


As a unit owner, if the condominium corporation's policy will not cover damage to a common area, you may be required to share the cost to repair with other unit owners. If the specific damage is included under your condominium insurance policy with us, coverage applies for an amount up to 250% of your personal property limit or $50,000, whichever is greater. This coverage includes up to $25,000 for your portion of the condominium corporation's master policy deductible that may be assessed to you.


Contingent insurance may provide coverage for loss or damage resulting from shortfalls in your condominium corporation's policy. This can cover glass within your unit, including glass in storm windows and doors, against damage caused by accidental breakage. It may also cover things like damage resulting from a peril not covered by the corporation's policy, but is covered by ours. Our condominium insurance policy provides contingent coverage for an amount up to 250% of the personal property limit or $50,000, whichever is greater. This coverage includes up to $25,000 for your portion of the condominium corporation's master policy deductible that may be assessed to you.

Tennant Insurance

Tenant insurance is for renters who want to protect their personal property. Tenant insurance also includes personal liability coverage, which covers accidental damage to property not owned by you or unintentional bodily injury to others.

Vacant Land

If you’ve invested in a block of vacant land it is important to ensure you are protected financially if something goes wrong. You could be liable if someone injures themselves whilst on your land, even if they’re an uninvited guest. Likewise if someone suffers damage to their property as a result of your ownership of the vacant land, you could find yourself liable.